Re: Headlight bulb source

--- Robert Abatecola <robert@domain.elided> wrote:
> I can't believe I'm having trouble finding headlight
> bulbs for both of my cars!  None of the usual big
> chains seem to carry them anymore.
> In fact, I checked web sites of a few major
> manufacturers like  Sylvania, Philips, GE.  Unless
> I overlooked something, they don't
> even make the bulbs.
>
> So, does anyone know of a source (preferably local)

I just bought headlights for my '74 Spider at the
Tualatin Schuck's Auto Parts right around the corner
from me, which certainly qualifies for some values of
"local."  :-)  And I'll bet that your right hand is on
the opposite side of your body from mine, too...

> for headlight
> bulbs for my ancient machinery?  I don't want to
> convert to HID.

So are you using US-style sealed beam headlamps, or
E-code lamps with separate bulbs?  (Your use of "bulbs
for my headlights" could be taken either way.)

US-style sealed beam headlamps in both 7" round (for
your Spider) and 5-3/4" round (for your GTV6) should
be available at most large chains in the States.  I
just installed two 7" round bulbs in the Sylvania
"XtraVision" line (high-output halogen), which were a
few cents over $13 each at the Schucks near me --
which is part of the Kragen national chain of auto
part stores, suggesting that your local Kragen may be
a resource.  Furthermore, they were on sale and the
second was half-price, so my pair of new sealed beam
headlamps were about $20.

Still on the list is an upgrade to relayed E-code
(European) headlamps, which I understand are
significantly better in both light output and in beam
definition, and which the Oregon DOT has explicitly
made legal in my state (see "some values of local,"
previous).  However, simply replacing the older
sealed-beam headlamps on my Spider had a dramatic
effect on light output, particularly if (as in my
case) one of the lamps has a significant amount of
condensation inside the "sealed" beam.

Note one thing: on your Spider, there are three screws
that hold the retaining ring to the headlight bucket.
You don't need to remove those screws, just loosen
them, then the retaining ring rotates slightly,
allowing a "wide spot" in the slot to slip over the
retaining screws.

If you're stupid enough to remove the first screw and
drop it down into the innards of the car and then
don't ever find it again, make sure you're ALSO not
stupid enough to leave the screw out of the one socket
(probably the one at about 8 o'clock) that serves to
hold down the headlight ground wire.  Otherwise, even
though the lights will both work when you road-test
them the day you install the lights, the ground wire
will eventually vibrate loose so that when you start
up your Spider at 4:30 in the morning for a trip to
San Francisco (the reason you replaced the headlamps
in the first place) and get only the barest yellowish
glimmer from the left-hand headlamp, it'll be too late
to fix it before you have to start your trip to stay
on schedule.

Not that *I* would be stupid enough to do this.  (Not
more than once, anyway.)

Fortunately, the right-hand lamp alone produced more
light with the new XtraVision bulb than both of the
older lights had produced, so it was still a net win.
I intend to replace the missing screw this weekend,
one way or another.

IAP sells some headlights on line (I'm looking at a
listing for 7" Hella European halogen headlights at
the moment, part number #24162100, $89), if you prefer
to order that way.  If you are already using E-code
bulbs (where the headlight lens and the bulb are
separate units) and simply need the bulbs, I have seen
them at Rainer Hurtienne's Web site, and also at
Daniel Stern Lighting (a must-read for anyone
interested in seeing better after dark).  URLs:

Hurtienne:

http://www.alfahurtienne.de/htdocs/english/index.htm,
then click "Catalogue" from the left-hand menu.

Daniel Stern:

http://lighting.mbz.org, then click "Prices" from the
left-hand menu.  (The "Products" link simply lists
them, the "Prices" shows what is for sale and how
much.)

Best,

--Scott Fisher
  Tualatin, Oregon