California emissions question

Hello Digest,

  Now that I've moved from central NY to southern California I am
confronted with the dilemma of getting my heavily tweaked 88 Spider
through the dreaded California smog test.  I've switched the stock
intake cam for a Centerline manufactured 12 mm lift version specifically
made for the Bosch equipped spiders.  I've also had the head modified
which includes porting and polishing and oversized valves.  My exhaust
cam is still the stock unit and I am still using the stock down pipe
with catalysts.  Here are my questions for anyone willing to offer
advice;

1 - To what degree will the intake cam effect (affect?) the emissions?

2 - Should I consider purchasing a stock cam from APE (or other) and
replace the tweaked cam just to get through smog?

3 - How much cash will CA extract from my bank account (maximum) in this
effort worst case?

I've spoken to a number of different people about this test and no one
can seem to put a concrete figure on the worst case cost for getting a
car through smog.

Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

On a positive note, I **am** able to drive my Spider a full 12 months
out of the year which is completely impossible in Central NY if you want
to avoid the salted roads.

Thanks in advance,

Eric Schnettler
Dana Point, CA