Re: 70 liter tank

> Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 23:46:35 -0500
> From: "John Hertzman" <johnhertzman@domain.elided>
> Subject: Berlina questions
>
> Ian Ruinaard asks about the fuel tank in his 1971 Berlina: "The car has been
> fitted with a bigger tank by the PO (70 litres I think). The tank is higher
> &
> takes up more space inside the trunk. Was this a factory option or is this a
> hybrid tank that was specially built?"
>
> The standard tank in the sixties (I believe for all 105s, although differing
> in filler details) was 46 liters, but for the GTA both 60 liter and 90 liter
> tanks were optional, and they could be fitted in other 105s as the
> tank/floor
> interface (and gasket) were constants. At least one, and I believe both, of
> the large tanks had a large filler inside the trunk, but modification to fit
> the standard filler location would not be difficult. The 2000 Berlina used
> an
> appreciably larger tank than the 1750, 53 liters. Either a specially built
> tank or a modified stock tank should be fairly obvious on examination; all
> of
> the factory tanks had a single top pressing joined to a single bottom
> pressing
> at the mounting flange, and any welded seam would indicate a non-stock part.
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

> Hi John,
>
> in 1974 I purchased a  1972  2000 Berlina when I lived in South Africa. I
> upgraded the fuel tank to 70 litres ( I think ) . It was much taller than
> the
   original and stuck up into the trunk, but was a bolt on swop.  The only
   modification needed was to weld an extension on to the fuel pick up
   that bolted into the top of the fuel tank - and adjust the fuel gauge
   "float" by trial and error.

   I purchased  the fuel tank from a local Alfa Romeo dealer, who presumably
   got it from Alfa Romeo South Africa. Remember they had the only plant
   outside of  Italy manufacturing Alfa's. Presumably they made them ( or had
   them made )  in South Africa, as local requirements were a minimum of 65%
   or 70%  local content. That meant  just about everything but the
   engine and drive train was manufactured in South Africa.

   I don't know if the larger tank was offered as a factory option, as I
purchased
   the Berlina second hand, but doubt it, as there was no available fuel pick
up,
   which I had to fabricate- as described above.

Howard Jacobs
Cleveland OH

1984 GTV6 Maratona    12,000 miles
1995 911 Cabriolet        11,000 miles
1972 Impala  402 Conv. 14,000 miles
1977 Mercedes 6.9
1960 FIAT 2300
2001 Audi A6-4.2 (couldn't wait for the 166)
1997 A6 wagon (better half's ride)