Glueing the unglueable

----------
From: "Anne O" <marinefuel@domain.elided>
To: alfa@domain.elided
Subject: Glueing the unglueable
Date: Fri, Mar 1, 2002, 8:38 PM

This may not be news to all of you, but I pass it on since it
just saved me $200.00.

The headlight switch on the Si broke at the stalk, a replacement
switch was $195.00 and a weeks wait, so Alfa went into service
in the snow.

Until then our NYC weather had been in the 40'sF to 58F, this
Honda certainly picks its time to break.

We went to the parts store and bought a tube of glue touted as
special for all automotive plastics - it did nothing. I had
never had much success in gluing "composition unidentified"
plastic components,so I was not suprised, but I had to do
something to keep Alfa out of the snow and slime.

An Elmers product, polyurethane glue,claimed to glue anything
together.Following the instructions precisely the switch was
glued up and clamped with rubber bands (since this glue expands
as it cures,clamping is mandatory). Perfect bond,the switch
seems to be as good as new!

Perhaps this can be a cure to master cyl resevoirs,coolant
bottles and other sundry plastic parts that fail us with no
replacement available? Urethanes are highly resistant to
heat,cold and most chemicals save extreme acids and
alkalis.Elmers does not recommend this glue for use "below the
waterline" but this is probably more of a liability disclaimer
than an actual reflection of its preformance in constant contact
with water.

Next experiment, when the temps go up, will this really keep
Spider vent window latches secured to the glass? I would not
mind the amber color if the latches stay on.

Mad scientist/Alfa lovers experiment and post results!

Anne O