Re: future fuels?

Yes, there are several working hydrogen engines now.  There have been
some fleet buses that use cyrogenic hydrogen in use for at least five
years now, on a trial basis.  BMW has built several hydrogen powered
cars, as has Mazda.  The engines are simply normal internal combustion
engines with specially tailored injection systems.  Mazda, in fact,
has found that the rotary is an exceptionally good hydrogen powerplant,
as it's main failing as a gasoline engine (poor thermal efficiency)
is a benefit when burning hydrogen, which is more volatile than gasoline.

Remember, too, that an oil refinery is hardly a zero-energy proposition,
esp. when one takes into account the energy spent in getting the oil
to the refinery.  A "hydrogen refinery" could simply be built on any
coastline.  Rather than use photovoltaics, one could use a tidal or
wave-powered electricity plant to drive the refining process, since
you're there on the coast, anyway.  All of this takes plenty of time
and engineering, of course, but it's all theoretically doable.

james montebello
(who'd much prefer hydrogen to electric cars, if only for the noise)