re: Re: Caution: Alfa Content ('94 Spider purchase?)

There was this Q&A regarding a 94 Spider.  I will cut/snip to the last
paragraph, which was a question about missing some oomph in the mid to
high rev range.

With so many miles on it, I'd suggest looking at the catalytic
converter.  (Wasn't I just talking about them earlier? whatever.....)
If it is fouled, it could be providing excessive back-pressure.  This
would effectively strangle the breathing.

On the inlet side of things. . .  How clean/new is the air filter.  If
that was old and dirty, *it* could be getting in the way of free
breathing.  Both are simple things, one just more expensive than the
other.  I am not that familiar with the VVT system, but if were not
operating effectively, for whatever reason, would it cause the symptoms
described?  I'll leave that one to those who really *do* know.

Jay Negrin
76 Alfetta GT - in Southern California - waiting for the national
convention in July

<<snip>>

(Q)  The engine seemed kind of choked (i.e. strangled) in the mid-range
- not that
> willing to rev.  Mind you, I have a 164 which clearly has more power
and I
> have never driven a Spider before.  I know that this is not much of a
> description but it almost seemed to be hesitating  and did not want to
pull
> to redline.

(A)  I'm guessing this is the difference between a Spider and a V6 164,
but in my
experience, although the 2L 4 does not have a ton of power, it does rev
smoothly and continuously upward.  There even appears to be a bit of a
kick at
around 4000 or 4500 (possibly due to the VVT?).  Maybe there is a small
problem
with this motor.
- --
jw