Re: Caution: Alfa Content ('94 Spider purchase?)

> Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 09:50:12 -0500
> From: jeffrey.weiss@domain.elided

> > Test drove a '94 Spider - 75k or so.  A few questions.  There was
> > significant grinding downshifting from third to second.  These were just
> > regular downshifts, when slowing and needing a lower gear, nothing fast or
> > anything.  The car was cold, and after a few shifts I kind of got the hang
> > of it so I shifted more carefully.  A problem or just a manifestation of
> > typical synchros?
>
> Probably the onset of synchro wearout.  My '93 Spider has under 25K miles on it
> and has yet to exhibit any synchro symptoms.  I almost always match on
> downshifts (even though the pedal position sucks for heel-n-toe), and I'm
> hoping that will keep the synchros intact for long enough - i.e., until my son
> is old enough to pull and rebuild the tranny.  He's 2-1/2 now.

I've always wondered about something related to this: in my GTV6s, if I'm
at a throttle position that's close to constant velocity (i.e. not accelerating
or coasting) and I shift down, the engine revs match very nicely without
changing throttle position. (a wonderful feature, IMO)

Is this a property of the setup of the V6, or do the I4s do this too?

Ciao tutti,

-david