Installing 105 chain tensioner, suggestions?

Anyone out ther have any tricks of reinstalling the
chain tensioner in a 105 4-cyl engine?

I thought I had mine installed properly when the head
was on my bench (er, floor), but didn't realize that
the lock pin wasn't installed correctly.  When the
time came to reconnect the upper chain once the head
was installed, I couldn't fully retract the tensioner
because it was bottoming on the misinstalled set-pin
(the square metal piece with a hole in it that the set
screw acts on to hold the tensioner assembly).

Any suggestions?

Also, any suggestions for fishing that damn set-piece
thing out of the sump, to avoid having to pull the
lower pan again? (yes, I dropped it trying to get it
back in)  I'm going to try rotating the engine upside
down to see if it falls out, and I've already tried a
magnet-on-a-stick.  Maybe the combination of upside
down and the magnet?

Thanks,
Ian Lomax
SF, CA
71 Spider (almost ready to swap engines)
94 164 LS (checkbook mechanic special)
http://sports.yahoo.com