Re: Elementary oil question.

Hi Marty,

I put somewhere between 7 and  8 quarts in my 74 Spider. Remember that the
oilfilter takes about a pint, and that 7= quarts is not too far off. Always
check the dipstick when you have filled it up, that is your best indicator of
what it is supposed to be. All Alfa's burn oil, it is only a question of how
much. A quart per 1000 miles is pretty normal. With regard to the weight of
the oil, I use 20W50, which is also recommended in the manual and other books,
as well as by the ARA Tech Hotline. With regard to brand: use a quality oil,
Castrol, Kendall or somesuch.

best regards

Henrik Johansen
ARA Webmaster & ex-prez

> I'm wondering what weight of oil most people use in their older Alfa's. My
> 73' Spider has 105,000 miles and has had the pistons and rings replaced a
> couple thousand miles ago. The car is driven in Northern California (bay
area)
> temperatures.   Also, does the factory dipstick read accurately? I know the
> dry sump takes  an amazing 7 qts. but after putting some miles on after an
oil
> change it always seems to read low. I know the car is not burning  the
amount
> of oil it would take to make up for the dipstick read difference. Just an
Alfa