Engine Flush, cooling system flush

Today I took my Alfa in for an oil change.  They asked me if I wanted a
"upgraded" oil change, which included running the engine with some treatment
before filling it with new oil.  Since I had never heard of this, I opted
against it.  Just wondering if any of you knew what it was about.  Is it
beneficial and/or safe for Alfas?

Sort of on the same topic, I do my cooling systems flushes myself.  I heard
once that cooling system flush detergent can be harmful to the engine, so I
just flush with distilled water, run the engine, then refill with 50/50 mix.
Is this the best method?

Thanks,
Brian
'82 Spider