'78 Spider update: Changed gearbox/diff. lube...

I can't believe this thing stayed together and ran as
well as it did based on the P.O.'s total disregard for
routine service!

Gearbox and diff. lubes were absolutely filthy with a
nice deposit of fine metal shavings left on the magnetic
drain plugs for both.  Each only full to about 1/2
capacity with some nasty funky goose grease!

Surprisingly the gearbox shifts well in all gears even
when cold and is quiet and smooth.

I used Redline MTL in the gearbox and Redline 75W90 in
the differential.  I've used the same combination in
several old BMW 5-series with great success.

The gearbox now seems a little smoother and synchronizer
action is improved very slightly.  Upshifts and
downshifts don't seem to require quite as
much 'technique' and can happen a little faster.

So far, no leaks or complaints!

PS  I changed the 24-year old Spica pump oil filter and
the old one disintegrated on removal!