Motronic VVT question

Can anyone on the list with a Motronic system answer a question I have about
the VVT solenoid?

I have a strange problem with my Motronic ECU fitted on the Alfetta.  All
the books I have read state that the VVT pulls in above 1500 rpm and
advances the inlet cam.  My Alfetta race car has standard cams so does not
need  the VVT and so I have disconnected the relay and wiring to were the
VVT solenoid was fitted.  Today whilst trying to trace an erratic problem I
probed the VVT part of the harness and was surprised to see that when the
motor speed was raised from idle the VVT line from the ECU only pulled in
momentarily and then dropped out.

Can someone who has a system like this confirm this is what the ECU is
supposed to do?  I fitted a small lamp in place of the original relay to see
the effect more readily.  I may be chasing an irrelevant fault in this
regard but would like to eliminate all the possibilities in the process.

BTW  The pump relay has been bypassed and  the pump is controlled by a
separate switch from the cockpit as required by local regs.  I don't see how
this can effect the ECU operation as the ECU normally pulls in the pump
relay when the motor is being cranked or is running.

John

Durban
South Africa

Alfetta 1.8L turbo