Re: 165/HR/whatever tire size comparisons

> paul is right - there's a gear-reduction thing goin' on.  23.7 is .967 of
24.5; that means yure really doin' 67.7 if the speedo is otherwise accurate
when it sez 70...  w/the smaller 23.5 tires, that's .959, & you'll be doin'
67.1 at an indicated 70mph.

> someone else

Alfisiti,

I stand corrected (math-wise).  Math was never my forte, anyway.  There is
obviously a significant difference in the diameter of the 165-14 as compared
to the 185/70-14, using the numbers that Paul Mitchell provided.  But, if
the info that Paul provided is true (and I have no reason to question him),
then most of the calculators out there (including the one I wrote about at
www.veloce,nu) are wrong.

I remember having picked up a small brochure from a Goodyear dealer a few
years ago, that had the actual measurements from a number of tire sizes, and
which allowed one to compare differing sizes.  It was called "+1" or
something like that.  I believe that one was accurate, but alas...I have no
idea where it is right now.

In any event, I wonder if any of you could point me in the right direction,
so I can at least provide our friend Wille Roos with some better math
figures to update his calculator.

Thanks,
Alex Csank