re: do the math (what's it cost to drive an alfa?)

I hate to point this out, but most of us on this list got our Alfas used,
after incredible depreciation.  Your cost per mile will most obviously be
cheaper than anyone who buys a new minivan or Camry, even if both the
latter vehicles have zero problems.

Some folks here, e.g. Karl Doll, who bought his 164LS NEW from the dealer,
  may have a closer running figure on how much it costs to run a 164 daily,
  from new.  I bought mine used (although it was only 2 years old) and paid
about $10K less than when they were new.  I haven't spent much on the car
other than tires (not garden variety) and the usual maintenance items -
save the broken foglight which I then replaced with one from AlfaBill.  I'
d say my running costs are closer to 40 cents a mile.

I'd say this isn't out of line given that my buddy with a 2001 BMW 540i is
already projecting a 50 cents/mile estimate.

OTOH, you can't compare running costs with the average Camry driver because

1. they don't care what oil goes into their engine; vegetable oil, suntan
oil, anything that says "oil" on the can (my 164 gets Syntec, $4.59/qt)
2. when their factory Goodyear tires run out, they bargain hunt for the
cheapest 80,000 mile tire from Pep Boys or Big O Tires, they'd buy
regroovables if they could
3. when it's time to change the timing belt, brakes, wiper blades etc ...
you get the picture

Now, if you treat your 164 like a Camry driver, then it's possible you
could hit 10 cents/mile, and -give- the car to AlfaBill to part out once
you're done with it :-).

Nizam