re: Help with rear pinion seal, please...

Mike,
	Go to http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/3837/ringtool.html to
see how to make one.  It doesn't cost all that much and with a
replacement ring nut (the one with the 4 slots that you can't get out)
as a template it takes about 30 minutes to make it with a right angle
grinder and a file.  Check out the other articles that i Saluti has at
their website; a wealth of information.

	I used a hand impact wrench with the socket to get it my ring nut loose
- the kind that you hit with a hammer; don't bother trying to pry loose
the peened area, the impact wrench will take it right off without
damaging the threads.  Just remove the nose cone of the impact wrench
and underneath is a 1/2" drive square.  Works great for all 1/2" drive
sockets.  Can't remember if there is torque value for this nut or not;
I used a standard socket wrench to snug it down.  You need to peen over
the lip to hold it in place.

	I've replaced two of these seals and afterwards both leaked after a few
hundred miles.  This is because over time, the lips on the seal that rub
on the pinion will wear a groove in them and the new seal will work for
awhile and then start to leak again.  Carson Damm researched this and
came up with a solution: a Speedi-sleeve from Chicago Rawhide - # 99177.
 Works for 1.769"-1.775" applications.

	"A Speedi-sleeve comes in handy if the surface where the seal lip was
running has made a groove in the metal. Press the sleeve on (a vise will
work) with the supplied tool, break off the tab and you have a new
surface for the seal lip. Very slick." Carson D.

	Two of the Speedi-sleeves are resting in my parts bin waiting to be
installed in my Spider and GTV.  Carson swears that they work really well.

	Bruce

	'73 GTV being restored as we wait
	'86 Spider