another perspective

In a message dated 02/16/2002 12:23:17 PM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Subject: RE: The Chevy Ad - Another Perspective?
>
> Perhaps what we are missing here is that GM is concerned with the public's
> opinion regarding the Chevy's reliability and is trying to convince them
> differently? Otherwise why did "they" make such an issue about it in the
> first
> place....?

Usually something like that is decided as a result of focus groups and other
types of marketing research re: the client's product, its category, its
competitors, etc.

I would guess this is an ad aimed at reluctant male buyers and the objective
is to overcome the "Mrs. made me pick it" or "it is one of the 3 parity
choices my company's leasing program would allow" objections/resistance to
the Chebbie as a wimp car for lame people, or the sorry compromise you settle
for when you are too over the hill to make the choice your heart tells you to
make and still too young to get beyond the nay-sayers and do what you want
anyhow...

IOW, perhaps this is an ad directed at spineless wonders that flatters them
with macho visions of the tough and successful (and generous Boy Scout-like)
cops happy in their Impala which reflects their machismo.

Hardly says much about GM's product -- but then, THAT IS WHY THEY NEED
SOMETHING WITH SEX APPEAL ON THE FLOOR -- e.g., ALFA!

Charlie
LA, CA, USA