RE: Spider VVT diagnosis

Adam,
	I don't know if there is a website article on the VVT.  Here's what I gleaned
from the manual and other digesti:

1)  To check that the solenoid and mechanical unit are working, remove the
harness to expose the two connector tabs.  With the engine idling, ground one
pin and attach the other to 12V.  You should hear the solenoid engage and the
engine rpm will drop or stall due to too much intake cam advance.

2)  To check that the L-Ject ECU is sending the signal to engage the VVT, hook
up a voltmeter to the soleniod harness.  You can use a safety pin or hat pin
to penetrate the insulation.  Drive the car with the voltmeter in passenger
compartment and watch for the signal.  I haven't tried it, but other digesti
tell me it only happens at wide open throttle.  Strange.  It should be
governed by rpm in theory.  There are three wires in the harness to the
solenoid.  I believe they are 12V, signal and ground.  The signal is the wire
that goes from 12V (no current) down to 0V (full current) that controls
current through the soleniod.

	Sorry I can't be more definitive.

Charlie