relative power (not much Alfa)

All this talk recently of power ratings, DIN vs SAE has me thinking.  I
seem to remember that in the early 1970s, maybe 1971 or 1972, the
horsepower ratings in the USA were to be SAE net, as opposed to SAE
gross.  This meant that the motors had to be tested as installed in the
car.  That means with ALL standard and most popular options, such as
Air conditioning
Power steering pump
smog air pump if one was needed
alternator
water pump

The last two?  Yup.  SAE gross measurements didn't need those, as they
wouldn't if run on a dyno anyway.  AND, if memory serves, they were
allowed to diddle with the distributor for best advance at a given rpm.
No wonder we saw so many hp drops at that time.  Not just the lower
compression ratios to deal with emissions controls.

DIN (which does NOT stand for Deutsch Invented Number) has a standard
more nearly like the SAE (Sparks And Excitement?) net method of
measuring horsepower.

Can I go to sleep now?

Thanks

Jay Negrin