Speedo Rebuilders

Gabriel:

Not to be too pessimistic, but it seems the odometers are a tad
temperamental at the best of times; there have been a number of posts in the
past about them "sticking" at various times (usually when trying to turn
over a couple of numbers at once when passing a "hundreds" count) unless the
trip counter is reset at rest with the engine off.  There's apparently a
theory that any engine rotation during the reset action can cause the
numbers to stick.  Not sure why on an electrical instrument, but there you
are.

The unit on my own 86 Spider has done that (stuck intermittently) ever since
I've had it, which is certainly one reason why it's a "low-mileage" car!
Finally tiring of the situation, I've just had it looked at by Palo Alto
Speedometers; they checked it over, added one minor later-model enhancement,
ran it for over a hundred miles on the test bench and sent it back, all for
around $150.  Only problem was it was no different when I re-installed it in
the car; on a 40-mile trip the speedo needle as usual ran just fine, but the
odometer didn't move at all.  I sent it back to PAS, they ran it again on
the bench for a few hundred more miles - again, no trouble found - so I sent
them the whole instrument binnacle.  They fitted the speedo, tested it
again, found nothing wrong, sent it back, it's back in the car and (so far)
works fine.  But I'm not letting myself be convinced it's 100% for many more
miles yet.

As for PAS' reputation, I've used them in the past for rebuilding motorcycle
speedos and tachos and have always had good, prompt service.  Good luck!

Best

Jon Inge
Edmonds, WA
86 Spider Veloce