ad etiquette

In a message dated 02/15/2002 9:49:41 AM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> I saw it last night as well -- while watching the Olympics.
> Bad guys driving a rust red/orange looking 164 base, stripped of all trim
> etc.  It was so plain that it took almost half of the ad for me to realize
> it
> was a 164 - it was really a view of the wheels that tipped me.  The bad
> guys
> get a flat, and the cops run up to change the wheel so the chase can
> continue.
> I guess the concept is they were having so much fun driving their Impala,
> they wanted the chase to continue.
> the"cops" then say something like..."this would be more fun if these guys
> had
> a better car".
> aaaak!
> Not a nice way for GM to treat it's new partner!!!

Luckily, I have missed this spot so far.

There have been many mentions, on and off, here about spotting Alfas in USA
ads.  I think one of the reasons is that it is an orphan brand (now), not
currently sold in the USA, and so it is chosen to avoid legal complications.
For example, if the bad guys were in a Ford, that would break the rule
against showing your competitor's product; and if it were denigrated, that
would lead to law suit city.  So, you pick on some little kid that can't
fight back.  It's the American way.

Charlie
LA, CA, USA