nuts up

The other shoe dropped!

I was waiting for something bad to happen after we replaced the water pump
on Olive Oil (my '87 spider Graduate). When the engine started sounding
really odd... like the fan was hitting the shroud, only it wasn't, it
turns out the bolt to the alternator had lost its nut (nuts? maybe that
was double-nutted), so the alternator was just a-hanging there.

OK so I need to affix the bolt again and get it right. Question: it
originally was bolted with the head of the bolt facing the fan, and the
nut (nuts) hidden and more inboard to the engine. A friend of mine made a
passing "nuts up" comment: if you can see the nuts, you know they are
there.

Would this be a situation where I could reverse the direction of the bolt
and put the nuts facing the fan, where I could see them?

Nutty Tess