New stepper gears not turning freely

Hello listers,

It's me again with more stepper repair problems.  I've
cleaned and regreased one of the stepper gearbox
assembly and installed new metal Alfapro gears.  The
gears turn well with the cover off but once I install
the cover with the final output gear attached it's
almost seized.  I feel like quite the idiot not being
able to figure this one out.  Any suggestions?  Sound
familiar?

Thanks,
Jerry, San Francisco
'91 164S