Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 21:12:05 -0700
From: C M Smith <cmsmith@domain.elided>
Subject: Warning re ARDONA stepper method

This is my response to the unlucky 164 owner stuck
part way through the
ARDONA stepper replacement method. The method works
well when you are
faced
with doing hundreds of these repairs, the risks of an
unlucky break are
amortized. If you happen to be the unlucky one.. it
doesn't work so
well.
there are many things that can go wrong during the
ARDONA method which
will
erase any time advantage.

The official factory approved method (not ARDONA's
desperate cobble up
job)
involves removing the entire dashboard assembly from
the car. This is
done
by unbolting the dash from the firewall by accessing
the mounting nuts
in
the false bulkhead area under the hood. It's time
consuming but
reliable.
It is unfortunate you might have to do this but the
inability to access
the
screws at the base of the windshield isn't a problem
once the dash
comes out.

  Don't be mislead though, this is a very lengthy
procedure involving
removal of the AC evaporator and a bunch of stuff. A
trained and
experienced mechanic takes 10 to 12 hours to do the
steppers by the
approved method. That's why ARDONA was so desperate to
devise a cheaper
way. Unfortunately, it takes a trained, experienced
and LUCKY  mechanic
do it the ARDONA way. You are one of the unlucky ones.
ARDONA could
afford
to be unlucky every now and again, you are now
understanding the costs
of
being THE unlucky owner. My mechanic refused to use
the ARDONA method
for
this reason, if it goes wrong the job is twice as
long!

Trouble with the design is the entire dashboard is
assemble outside the
car
in the factory. Unfortunately, Alfa got so excited
about the cost
savings
of this approach they forgot about serviceability once
installed. SAAB
used
the same cost saving assembly method but ensured that
the top came off
the
dashboard (by inserting screws from below!) and the
HVAC controllers
could
be accessed by removing the glovebox (or airbag in
later cars).

Alfa deserves criticism for omitting an in car
serviceable dash
assembly.
You are now reaping the expenses Alfa saved!

Good Luck

Michael

Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta