RE: Headlight Covers

Message text written by INTERNET:alfa@domain.elided

Maybe it is just the US Duettos that have the neat trim rings - no wonder
they're so scarce.  I've got a nice set of these trim rings, with a long
story behind the acquisition, no way I'd part with them as the installation
is so much nicer than the behind the fenders installation.
<<

This subject has come up before.  The rims that were fitted to early US
cars (which I've never seen incidentally) will indeed allow the plexiglass
covers to be fitted over them, and with these the headlamp is fitted from
the outside.  European cars with the covers had the headlamps fitted from
behind, with a very thin stainless steel rim.  Cars without the covers had
the headlamps fitted from the outside, with a much thicker chrome rim.  You
cannot get the covers to fit over these rims, and if you take the rims off,
then the covers will fit, but it looks awful as you can see the adjusting
screws and part of the back of the headlamp through the plexiglass covers.
The studs for fitting the headlamps from behind remained there, even on US
cars I think, until about 1981.

Chris Sweetapple
Highwood Motor Company
Swansea, U.K.