RE: gtv6.org and Spica power, US alfas etc.

Hi all

First... GTV6.ORG....

Everybody keeps talking about gtv6.org having expired. It doesn't look the
domain is available to be bought back yet. Someone's going to have to talk
to geoffw@domain.elided about it. I am perfectly happy to buy the domain on
behalf of the Alfa community and point it wherever people want it pointed.

I have been busy lately and unable to keep up to date with many of the
digests over the last week or so. Who was the owner of gtv6.org before it
lapsed?

Another thing. You don't need absolute links to many of those URLs. For
example, instead of creating links within the site which point to
"http://www.gtv6.org/asectionofthesite/"; you can simply use
"/asectionofthesite/". This way, you won't have to replace all instances of
http://www.gtv6.org with http://209.66.119.53.

If hosting is needed, it's possible I may be able to provide that. I will
need to know more about what technology is needed on the server side. I can
also help with web-master/web development things a bit at the moment, if
needed.

If any of the interested/responsible parties would like to contact me
off-digest, we can take this further.

Now...SPICA...US Alfas.

My understanding is that, if you have the required knowledge about the SPICA
injection system, you can get better results than with carbs. Fundamentally,
injection is superior to carburetors. When combined with modern
computer-controlled ignition and fuelling, I don't think there is even close
competition, if you are interested in driveability, useful power bands, fuel
economy, emissions, etc. In practice, of course, there is not always such a
great disparity, especially if you enjoy things like intake roar etc.

These days, the most successful competition cars are using fuel-injection.
That should end any arguments about carbs vs injection.

In practice, the average mechanic can probably have more success with carbs
than with injection. That generally says more about the mechanic than the
technology being used.

In the 70s, the 80s and, probably in most cases today, there isn't the
knowledge of the SPICA system that people need to set it up properly. That's
why so many convert to carbs. Availability of spares may also be an issue. I
live in Europe (well, ok, the UK, but it's geographically close) where we
don't have to worry about SPICA. I would submit that Alfa Romeo fitted SPICA
in order to deal with emissions restrictions in the US.

Then again, as usual, I may be completely wrong.

nk

Nick Koleszar   koleszar@domain.elided
1971 Alfa Romeo Giulia Super 2.0
1990 Alfa Romeo 75 3.0 QV