Re: Euro spec horsepower and classification

    It may be little comfort to know your are not the only one to ask
these questions. certainly there were those during the time.
    Most notable was possibly dave vandenburg who had a shop in the bay
area and belonged to ARA. sometime during the late 70's early 80's he
authored "the vandenburg papers" ,published in the overheard cams, which
sought to answer some of these questions via the dynamometer he had
access to. this could be a good place to start for someone wishing more
out of his spica fueled spider.
    To my recollection the euro cams were about a 5 hp improvement over
the stock USA profile at the same 102 deg timing. this is enough to
actually feel a difference. and if your just beginning to make these
kind of mods, it's great to do something that actually makes a
difference.
    Notable to me was the fact that removing the water pump mounted fan
netted a 7 hp improvement - depending on the RPM.  i.e. with the stock
fan there were greater losses at higher RPM. 7 HP @ 7k RPM or
thereabouts. an added benefit i might add is that the engine SOUNDS much
nicer without the motor trying to force all that air about. I had a GTV
at the time and added an electric fan but found that with a freshly
rotted radiator even in the bay area summertime, it rarely came on while
i was moving.
    there were other tests, the results of which are less memorable to
me    shankle headers, other cams, quadraflow....

    I think the CRH would be a good background, has tons of information.
(Don doesn't get a hundredth of the recognition he deserves) but is
geared toward production classes of the 60's and 70's - predating the
formation of street prepared and improved touring classes.
    it doesn't talk much about panhard rods, instead promoting the
factory sliding block  (as it should be) nor does it mention the rear
mounted front sway bars that jack beck has made available.
    Oh, and it mentions knuckle risers.
    rant off, nomex on

    Norm