Brake boosters

Centerline has the Bendix/Bonaldi/Benditalia style brakes boosters for 105
1600s and 1750s listed in its catalog for $245 new.  Ranier Hurtienne in
German has them listed for DM 387 each ($174) on its web page
(https://diamant.safe-order.de/alfahurtienne/htdocs/english/katalog_start.ht
m) which seems fair, though I don't know how much shipping is to the US.

If you can get the rebuild kits for the hydraulic part and the air valve
part, the Bendix-style booster isn't any harder to rebuild than a master
cylinder, though some of the internal plastic distance pieces and washers
can deteriorate to the point where they aren't reusable.  And as John Hoard
pointed out, getting the tiny air valve piston out to replace its seal can
be tough.  Find the world's biggest magnet.

Lockheed boosters, used on 1969 US Berlinas, and I think on RHD GTVs, are
much harder to rebuild, and who knows if the kits are available any longer.
I rebuilt a pair in 1996 on my Berlina and wouldn't do it again.  Eventually
I swapped in a pair of rebuilt Bonaldis and was much happier.

Isn't the Bendix booster a licensed Dunlop design?  I've heard anecdotally
that Austin/Morris Minis used the same booster. If so, I bet they're
available from a Mini/Leyland/BMC parts place, perhaps in the UK, and
probably cheaper.

Andrew Watry
Berlina Register