stepper motor HELP!!!

I'm starting to take things apart for stepper motor
replacement.  I'm stuck on getting one of the screws
undone.  It's one of the 8 small screws at the base of
the windsheld that holds the dash to the defrost
vents.  The screw threads are stripped in place and
I've tried everything to get it out.  I've already
wedged a screwdriver under its washer to create upward
force while turning the screw.  No luck!  I've pried
hard enough to chew up the washer.  Is there any way
to get at the bottom of this screw?  I was thinking of
access through the instrument cluster.  Any solutions
other than brute force to break the defrost tang away
from the dash?  I'd really rather not do that but
after 1 1/2 hours on this one screw I'm not seeing
many options.

Please copy responses to my personal e-mail address
also so I get them sooner.

Thanks much,
Jerry Ecklund, San Francisco
'91 164S