Headlight Covers

       All the headlight covers I own or have seen were made by Carello and
are available at the usual sources.  I have seen these mounted over the stock
headlight with just the chrome trim ring removed; however, I think that looks
bad.  The guts of the headlight are exposed and are not all that attractive.
       The European mounting system mounted the headlight bucket behind the
fender.  There was a small chrome ring that covered the bare edge of the
fender lip.  Early Alfa spiders still had the tabs on the inside of the
fender for mounting the headlight behind the fender.  I know the 74 still had
them, but they were gone on 82 and later spiders.  I made some and welded
them inside the fenders on my 82.
       Mounting the headlight behind the fender makes it difficult to change
the bulb.  It is also hard to align the headlight.  European headlight
buckets had a removable rear section.  In those days, the European headlight
had removable bulbs, which were illegal in the US, which required sealed
beams.
       Mounting the headlight covers, once the headlight is moved behind the
fender may require body work.  You need to cut two slots for the rear of the
headlight cover to fit into.  And you need a hole at the front for the chrome
hook to mount.  Then you need to modify the fender and / or the headlight
cover.  That is, not all Alfa fenders are created equal and the headlight
covers need to be scribed and cut to fit.
       If the covers fit properly, they seem to stay clean inside.  They will
turn yellow over time.  Theft has not been a problem.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City