Electric race cars. (Was: got gas?) Limited Alfa content

--- Scott Fisher <sfisher71@domain.elided> wrote:

> I figure that in the past couple of decades at least,
> most electric cars have been designed to appeal to the
> conservation-minded rather than the leadfoot, and
> therefore you get vehicles optimized for economy and
> range, rather than for tire-smoking launches and
> four-wheel drifts.

There was a guy in AROCSD who about 6-7 years ago was crew chief on an
electric race car team.  I saw the car at the San Diego auto show.  It
looked like a small scale Can Am car - slab sided, slope node, high
wing.  The batteries were in the side pods.  I'm not sure how many
motors were in there.

It was part of a formula series that was supposed to run in the
Southwest.  It was a speed contest - not like the Shell sunracer
distance races.

I remember the one race report he brought back, his car had been
damaged during an exchange between two drivers.  They lost one of the
pods. I have no idea how many races or cars there were.  Does anyone
know more about this?

-Jim Murphy
http://greetings.yahoo.com