No Brake Lights, '91 Spider

     My wife's '91 Spider failed its annual safety exam yesterday because
     the brake lights would not stay on. Lights would flicker then die when
     pedal was applied. Took apart every connection in the back and cleaned
     everything, including all grounds and also replaced every bulb. Still,
     nada. I'm thinking it could be the sending unit at the pedal which I
     also checked. The little plunger was out but don't have a voltmeter so
     I couldn't check if the unit was sending. Is this the likely culprit ?
     I think this is the original unit. Wanted to check before I order a
     replacement unit from IAP. Thxs.

     Kevin Fillip
     Dallas, Texas

     '91 Spider