re: modification list (was Spider performance)

George Schweikle, who has been autocrossing a Spider for a long time with
notable success, suggested compiling a list of modifications for a range of
 performance levels:

>I betcha Russ, Eric Storholk and I could make a good start, but we're
Spider/GTV oriented
>and others could chime in with information for GTV6 & Milanos.
>1. Street use (emissions compliant and who cares)
>2. AROC Autocross & Time trials
>3. SCCA Stock class Autocross (Solo II)
>4. SCCA Street Prepared class Autocross (Solo II)
>5. SCCA Time Trials (Solo I)
>6. SCCA Improved Touring racing (IT)

And then he asked:
>Comments?

OK: Good idea, but why stop with IT?  This list gives several variations on
the milder end of the modification spectrum, but neither emission-compliant
street cars or any of the SCCA classes shown here allow significant engine
modifications, for example.  I'd bet that over the years there have been
more Alfas in Production and analogous B and C sedan classes than any of
the above--and they have been successful, winning 15 national championships
between 1966 and 1989  (see www.midatlanticaroc.org/racing/racing.htm).

Dana Loomis
71 1750 GT Veloce - SCCA B sedan