it's the pits

In a message dated 02/08/2002 1:50:12 PM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> So working in a pit is either going to create an explosive, toxic and/or
> oxygen deficient atmosphere.  A pit is also very similar to a "confined
> space"
> which is highly regulated by OSHA due to its hazards.
>
> Moral of story...  Put it solidly on ramps or stands, provide plenty of
> ventilation, and eliminate ignition sources.

One day I wanted to get the Spider aligned and I took it into no fewer than
FIVE wheel and tire shops around LA and Glendale and they ALL refused to look
at it since they felt (a unanimous opinion, BTW) that it would not clear
their lifts and to try to put the car on a standard tireshop lift would cause
damage to the undercarriage.  I did find a place with an old-fashioned pit
that would check out the alignment that day, and the usual place I go to
retire has 2 lifts and a pit.

Charlie
LA, CA, USA