Re: Scheme to Fund Crushing of Over 15 Year Old Cars

So, after having actually read over the text of the bill in question,
I'll make these comments:

This bill proposes to fund state run programs.  To qualify, the state
program must:

 - be voluntary
 - provide financial incentives including direct payment and a credit
   towards a new "fuel-efficient" car/light truck
 - require the vehicle to be operational and registered when turned in,
   so no junk-yard raiding
 - the programs must allow more more than 1 vehicle per year per person,
   so no mass scrappages (there is an out for non-profits, so car
   donations can be scrapped en masse)

btw, this is also about fuel efficiency.  No mention of smog laws, smog
levels, pollution, etc.  Strictly fuel-efficiency.  The turned-in car must
fall below a defined line of fuel efficiency to qualify (which, if it's
the CAFE standard, is something like 24mpg, so even my '84 GTV6 wouldn't
qualify, let alone a Milano).  It also means that someone could not turn
in a '67 Camaro and go buy a Suburban with the proceeds, as the new
vehicle has to be above the fuel-efficiency line.

I note that SEMA's objections basically hold little weight.  They also
vigorously objected to similar bills in California, using hysterical
language about how priceless classics were going to vanish overnight,
owners were going to find their cars seized at smog checks and crushed,
etc.  Didn't happen.

The CA "incentives" are to pay a pricely $450 to the owner of an old
clunker to be crushed.  Now, with Fed funding, maybe they'll raise this to
$500 and an $500 credit towards a new Corolla (CA built, y'know) or
something.

Frankly, we'll lose a lot more cars to rust than we will to the crusher
because of this bill.  If it provides a possible new outlet for people to
dump their 1980 Dodge Colt for above market and buy a new econobox, I
hardly see this as a bad thing.  The idea that the proposed incentives
will ever make it "more attractive" to scrap, say, a 1750 GTV than it
would be to sell it on the open market or to APE, et al, is mildly
ludicrous.  Tired Milanos are cheap, but they aren't THAT cheap.  About
the only Alfa I can think of that is cheap enough to worry about is the
1750/2000 Berlina, and only if it's in very tired condition, and even
those can easily be parted out for over $1000.

Go to the Thomas link below, read the bill yourself.  The relevant
section is called:

SEC. 803. ASSISTANCE FOR STATE PROGRAMS TO RETIRE FUEL-INEFFICIENT MOTOR
VEHICLES.

james montebello