grappa- with minimal alfa/fiat content.

I went to an italian wine tasting a couple years ago put on by winebow
(one of the big italian importers) after my girlfriend at the time and I
settled the debate over whether to take my alfetta or her fiat 850
spider, she won of course.  Eventually we found ourselves half in the
bag and sauntering up to jacobo poli to taste his premium grappa which
run hundreds of dollars for tiny hand blown volumetric flasks of the
stuff.  Before allowing us to taste his treasures, Poli, with great
gravity sniffed our glasses and detecting some residual chianti odor
insisted that they be rinsed forthwith.  Pouring us thimble fulls of
various bottlings, my girlfriend brought one to her lips and immediately
spat it out over the assemblage proclaiming--"Ehhh, Benzina!"  While it
may not all be gasoline and poli's is actually quite good in my
experience grappa can be pretty awful.  I'm sure fred's is sublime, but
if you aren't nearby there are good american grappa's made by clear
creek and germain robin.  And in addition to Poli, Nonino makes Grappas
that are good and can be found in the US.  I think it is very much an
acquired taste, like scandinavian akavit or greek ouzo.

Adam
'78 sport sedan-pinging in cold weather, may need grappa octane booster.