RE: Import Doctors-- bad shop, bad experience, and a big loss

What an alarming story! I hope you know a good junk yard dog type lawyer.
Go after the deadbeat.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-alfa@domain.elided [mailto:owner-alfa@domain.elided]On Behalf Of
Carscribe@domain.elided
Sent: Monday, February 04, 2002 3:31 PM
To: alfa-digest@domain.elided
Subject: Import Doctors-- bad shop, bad experience, and a big loss

In the course of dealing with many repair shops over the years, there have
been times when things did not work out to everyone’s mutual
satisfaction, and often it's just due to simple miscommunications or
unspoken expectations. They are usually resolved quickly and a lesson is
learned.

Unfortunately, I'm experiencing an issue with Import Doctors that hopefully
other owners may never to go through. I have been just plain lied to by the
owner, Bob Wandell, ignored and now expected to eat a major loss, not to
mention that a previously pristine and rare Lancia Flavia Coupe is largely
ruined.

It was to be a simple and inexpensive repair-- replace a rear leaf spring. I
selected Import Doctors only after the shop agreed to store the car indoors
during it's stay. I was very clear about this at the time. Bob stated flatly
that the car would remain indoors. I was adamant about this not only because
I wanted to conserve the new paint chrome, but the windshield seal leaked
slightly and the driver's side window would not close the last 1 inch and
the extremely pristine all original interior and wood trim needed to be kept
dry. This car had been a hanger queen, in the best sense, all it's life.

The repair took longer than expected due to the first spring not fitting
properly requiring a second example to be fabricated or sourced. The task
was made more difficult and longer since Bob threw out my original part
without asking if I wanted it. After two months the new part arrived and the
car was ready to go... except that they had left the car outdoors for the
last two-plus months during the San Francisco rainy season.

Four inch deep standing water in the foot wells of the cabin have
essentially ruined the interior, including the formerly perfect wood trim
and chrome fittings and trim, original and formerly perfect carpets, door
panels, and clouded the instrument faces. It can all be redone, but will
never be "original" again, and will cost a bundle. On the outside, most of
the new chrome was rusting surprisingly heavily, until one discovers that
they had left a car cover on the car for several months during heavy
rainstorms. The car cover caused the new paint to cloud in those areas where
the wet cover remained in contact, in other words, most of the horizontal
surfaces. This too will all need to be redone and substantial expense.

When confronted with the damage and reminded of his broken promise, he said
he needed the space and pushed the car out, and that he was not responsible
for the damage. He had agreed to call me should he not be able to keep the
car indoors, but this he failed to do. I told one phone call or a letter or
something would have prevented all of this, and asked him why didn't notify
me-- to which he had no answer other than to shrug his shoulders. I find
this to be totally unacceptable from a service shop that claims: “We
wanted to open a repair shop that was based on the principles of honesty,
reliability, and fairness …”

He has had 3 weeks to make good on this, and to this day insists he did
nothing wrong and refuses to accept any responsibility in this matter-- in
other words, drop off you car, I'll take your money, but not the
responsibility for it's care and safekeeping. Hardly what any of us expect
from someone who makes his living from servicing vintage machinery, and all
it's special needs.

My sad bolide will never be the same. Hopefully no else loses a car to this
jerk.
Paul Mitchell