Re: curb weight 75-79 spider?

--- Tim Lentz <timlentz@domain.elided> wrote:
> This should be an easy one ... for somebody.
>
> What's the curb weight of a Spider(USA) between the
> years of 1975 and 1979 (what is listed in the
> Owner's Manual is close enough for me)?

How about Road and Track's contemporary road test of
the 1977 Spider, as reprinted in the Brooklands Gold
Portfolio?

That publication lists (on p. 73) the curb weight at
2430 lb.

Lots of other fascinating information.  These Gold
Portfolio books, if you're not familiar with them, are
reprints of nearly all the contemporary motoring press
reports on a given car, and are available for a huge
number of vehicles.  The Spider Gold Portfolio is 172
pages of facsimile editions of the magazine's
articles, complete with graphics, photos, and other
design elements (which is one of its weakest points,
as sometimes black-and-white prints of what were
originally, one assumes, stylish combinations of text
and background colors can make the reading a bit
tricky).

One thing that's especially interesting here is that
the publications include a selection of international
press, including at least one road test from South
Africa, making me think of our own John Fielding.
Furthermore, the publication dates are listed in the
beginning of the book, making it useful to see how
opinions changed or stayed the same over the decades.

I believe I bought my copy from International Auto
Parts, following the traditional line of thought that
if I'm going to have to pay for shipping, I might as
well get something more than two filters and a box of
spark plugs.  Well worth the $20 or so it cost.

--Scott Fisher
  Tualatin, Oregon
http://auctions.yahoo.com