Re: request for opinions on a couple of changes

Greg,

"SCCA Approved" rollbars can be a misleading term. If you compete in SCCA
Solo II (autocross), and only use a lap belt, then anything is OK. If you
intend to use a shoulder harness, then the bar must be at least as high as
the top of your helmet, which means it won't clear the top mechanism. In
other words, the same bar can be approved or not approved, depending on your
application. And... just because a bar height is the same as the top of your
helmet doesn't mean it is approved for Solo I (time trials). Confused?, Russ
Neeley (AROC competition chairman and SCCA Race Scrutineer) will likely
chime in with a few comments regarding the angle of rearward facing braces,
and other details.

For a street-only bar that fits under a folding top, Autopower makes a nice
bar that adds an element of safety as long as it is mounted per
instructions. I had one in my '71 spider, and remember it slightly reduced
seat back reclining adjustment.

Center brake lights are a matter of taste.... in my area, the Toyota dealers
wire the damn things into the turn signal flasher for added attention (I'm
convinced this isn't allowable, and have written the NHTSA questioning the
practice. Oops... I let a rant get loose....). I have a Safari Trek
motorhome, and it has a 1 in. x 8 in. center stop light that looks like it
could be mounted in the edge of a Spider trunk. I noticed the thing was
manufactured in New Zealand, but might be available from RV parts houses.
Another method might be to modify a tail light from a late model heavy truck
trailer; these don't use individual bulbs, but have a large cluster of small
LED's that might fit in a row at the edge of the trunk.

Regards,

George Schweikle
Lexington, KY