Mussolini's Alfa - my recollections

Some time ago, maybe twelve years or so, when I used to travel extensively
for my employer at the time, I found myself in Las Vegas with time on my
hands. I'd heard that the Imperial Palace had a car collection that was on
display to the public, so I went in search, and was directed to a remote
elevator bank. There was a window where I paid about $5, and was sent
upstairs to the collection. I didn't expect much, but found about a hundred
cars arranged in a large room, as well as a second room that contained
about 50 beautiful Duesenburgs (the largest collection of Duesies in the
world, as I recall). The larger room contained an eclectic, but
entertaining, assortment of vintage vehicles, many of which had some tie to
fame through previous ownership. About half way through the winding walkway
that guided you through the room, I was stunned to find myself in front of
a grey Alfa coupe. The placard said that it was a car that was given as a
gift by Benito Mussolini to his mistress. It was an 8c-2900 Lungo or
similar, and was, in any case, very pretty and I stood and admired it for a
good long time. In the gift shop, I found the Alfa was included among the
collection cars on postcards, and I bought a couple (wonder what happened
to them?). A couple of years later, I visited the collection again, and the
Alfa was still there. I haven't been back there since, but I believe I have
read that the collection no longer exists, having been auctioned off. The
BBC news clipping that Henry Kim referred us to stated that "Mussolini was
a keen motorist and owned a series of Alfa Romeos". It also stated that a
Mussolini owned 1935 Alfa 6c-2300 was auctioned by Brooks three years ago,
the only Mussolini car to hit the market recently (the Fiat that was the
focus of the article must have been sold in a private sale). Perhaps the
6c-2300 was the car I saw in Las Vegas.

BeckyCo@domain.elided
Mt. Prospect, IL, USA
847-818-1090