Grappa-a-a-ahhh!

Hey, kids -

I guess it all depends on what you're used to. Having
had a quart of real, honestly-illegal moonshine given
to me by a co-worker in Tennessee, and having actually
consumed it mostly by myself over the course of a year
or so, I was all ready to check out the local grape
squeezins by the time I got to Europe. Actually
started in Burgundy with a shot or two of marc, the
French equivalent, as a nightcap most evenings (the
in-laws and their French relatives being rather hearty
drinkers). Then, on our first night in Florence, we
got some very sad news about a friend who had died
that day, and spent an hour or two in the hotel bar
toasting her memory in grappa. Unlike the
correspondent in today's Digest, none of us suffered
any ill effects the next day, but awoke all chipper
and as cheerful as possible. Of course, the quality of
the hotel's grappa may have had something to do with
it. I remember Pops bitching about the price...

If Fred and I lived a tad closer, I'd be happy to
volunteer as a test subject, especially as I've been
stocking my cellar with cheap stuff from the 99"-only
store. It's drinkable, but Fred's process would
probably make it a whole lot more interesting. And if
gas prices go back up, I could try running the Berlina
on it!

Will Owen
Pasadena, CA
http://auctions.yahoo.com