Lifting and Holding an Alfa

Thanks to the members of alfa--digest, I am becoming a shade tree mechanic.

Now I want to do more, but I'm always cursing about getting under the
Spider. I use a hydraulic lift with jack stands but the best I can do is
slide under on a creeper with the undercarriage 3-5 inches from my face. I
bought 2 ramps, but the clearance still is uncomfortable.

How can you get the car safely up higher? Is there anything other than
longer jack stands (maximum height I've seen is 24 inches)? I've seen a
lift that allows you to park underneath, but it costs over $3500US.

I'd like to work on suspension parts before the spring. Any suggestions are
welcome.

Brian Pleet
1982 Spider