Cigarettes and rear seal

I'm definitely repeating myself, but this is one of the few 'tricks' I'm
so sure of, I defy anyone to come up with a better and cheaper system.

Replacing the cigarette seals and rear oil seal: Engine is (hopefully)
on a sturdy stand. You've done everything correctly and is now time to
install the previously mentioned three items. You've put the cigarettes
(seals) in the freezer overnight. You have purchased (a) one - 3" long
tube with a 13/32" I.D. (does that sound right?) (b) a 9/16" 'merican
bolt - 6.5" long (c) some rubber (silicone) grease.

Have all in place and take out your cigarettes. Place rear oil seal over
crankshaft and fit into place. God! Wasn't that simple and no bloody
special tools?! Grease up both cigarettes their entire length and insert
approximately 1/3 to 1/2 way down their respective holes and place rear
main bearing cap (obviously with main bearing in place) into position.
Begin tapping with wood end of heavy hammer. Before 'sending all home'
make sure bearing is in proper place and rear seal is firm against the
flat portion.

Place 3" tube over what is left of one of the cigarettes, insert bolt
and begin tapping. Do same to other side. Cut off any left sticking up
but have found I can get virtually all of 'it' into the holes with this
method.

The faster you work the better in order to keep the cigarettes hard.
Should be about a seven minute job at most, excluding the final bolting
up.

Even if you own every factory tool known to Alfa Romeo S.p.A., but have
performed this task numerous times, you will want to erect solid gold
statues in my honor in every state of the Union, including Hawaii and
Alaska.

Bronze will do.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA