fuel pump noise

When my '82 spider made that high pitched noise, I immediately replaced
the fuel pump... wrong answer !  There is an altitude sensor back behind
the passenger seat.  Since we have no altitude here in Houston, I just
removed the vaccum line from the sensor and plugged it.  The noise
disappeared.Good luck,joel lewishouston, tx'82 spider