dues and national track events

Also, what do you mean by national track events?  Like the BMW clubs?

As it stands, the national club's insurance covers track events if the club adds an event rider- easy and pretty cheap to do depending on the coverage required.

It also sets safety standards set out by the rules in the comp code.

But, whatever event, you will be limited by the local interest.  If the local club has no interest in supporting this, then getting people to run these events will be a problem.  I know that SoCal and Chicago both run time trials, while here in Detroit, we run "school" (no times).  NE chapter sponsors track time, Portland, Seattle, etc...  But its the local chapter that does the work.

To try to do a national thing like BMW or PCA...  I don't see that happening.  Go to a national, of the cars on the track, about 10% of them are real race cars.  There aren't enough Alfa race cars to support a national touring event.  Another 50% could be considered time trials style (quite a few mods, to go faster on the track or autocross).  But could the Alfa club support a national time trials?  I don't think so.  At the AROC Detroit track days, out of 50 cars, we average 10-20 Alfas.  Which I don't think is enough.

But, the club does support motorsports, and the rules encourage ALL chapters to participate.  Actually, now that I think about it, perhaps the club should charge a "sanctioning" fee.  But, if I remember what I've been told, troubles over competitive events is what split ARA from AROC...

No easy answers.

Eric Storhok
Core Emissions and Fuel Economy Team
Advanced Powertrain Engineering