RE: 1974 Spider came home - and a few questions

On Sun, 27 Jan 2002, Ian Lomax wrote:

> Congratulations on the purchase, sounds like a good runner.  First off a
> shameless plug, but if you're not already a member you should join the ARA
> (Alfa Romeo Association) for access to more technical advice and social
> activities than you can shake a thermostatic actuator at.  See
> www.overheardcams.org for more details.

I'm planning on it. I haven't joined yet, but it is on my short list of
things to do RSN (real soon now).

> I believe the throttle light is controled by the hand throttle at the base
> of the console.  It goes on when you pull out the hand throttle to let you
> know it's activated.  That's all it means unfortunately.
>
> As for the leaks, bring it to the meeting at Peter's Cafe in Milbrae on the
> 6th and some of the folks will be glad to take a look and give some advice.

What time is the meeting? [I should just check the web site.] I wonder if
someone in the group will know the spider I just bought. I picked it up in
Milbrae.

> The fuel sender sounds like it might not be getting full travel.  I think
> the tank is around 12 gal, so it should have read closer to full after 9+
> gallons.  It's accessed from the trunk, remove the six screws holding it to
> the top of the tank and it comes right out.  If you ground it against the
> tank and move the arm the full travel, you should see the guage move from E
> to F.  As always, be careful when working near open gas fumes, no smoking
> and avoid anything that might spark.

Thanks for this information. Clearest explanation of how to test and work
on this I've had from anyone.

> I'm not sure what repair facilities are in Marin, but there are a numer of
> good places in the city, or Berkeley.  I'll let others answer that.
>
> Have fun with the spider!

Many thanks for all the wonderful advice and information. If my work
schedule (and the Spider) cooperates, I'll see you on the 6th with my new
baby. :)

Greg