Ignition 101

I have an 84 Alfa were pickup is rather poor and it also tends to go
through distributor caps rather quickly, every 1000 miles or so.  I also
noticed the rotor arm moves a lot more than  on my other alfa
.  So next weekend
I am planning on replacing the distributor.

Can I safely assume that if the water pump pulley is at the <<F>> mark, and
the
cams on the number one piston are pointing outward ( and the rotor arm is at
the 4 o'clock position) that I can pull and replace the distributor by just
putting it in.  I remember
reading a while back (and have searched the digests but could not find)
where distributor
or oil pumps shafts were breaking ?  Which was it and do I need to be
concerned.  I was
not planning on replacing the oil pump ?  Should I do any inspections ?
Could the grove in the oil pump be damaged ?  Are there any spec ?

Doug K
2 84 Alfa's
1 Truck for moving alfa engines....