Re: alfa-digest V8 #409 Spider Rear Main Leak

          Terry,
     The seals you are talking about are called Ciggarette seals,due to there
appearance I assume.  These seals like the rear main seal and are replaced
with the rear main cap torqued in place. Over time these seals as all seals
dry out and do not fit as tight as they did originally ,thus Alfas greatest
pain--fluid leaks.They can be replaced in the car and can be done
successfully with out the factory tools. And yes the proper tool always makes
life easier .I have worked for Knauz an Alfa dealer here in the U.S. since
1982.As an alternative to the factory tools I have successfully used a long
socket {to squeeze the seal slightly } and a punch to drive the seal in and
have yet to replace it except for age again.I can E-Mail or Fax you the
Factory installation instructions if you require them .  Be carefull on the
rear crank seal as there are 2 different sizes availiable for the 2.0
Engines.  OEM rear seals can be identified by there colors ,White and Orange.

               Larry Ogle  Cinderogle@domain.elided
                         1967 Ausca Duetto
                         1978 Alfetta Sports Sedan
                         1969 Duetto with V-6 and transaxle DiDion
                         1978 Spider
                         1986 Spider