Re: Cromadora Daytona

Regarding restoration of Cromadora Daytona wheels:

Paul Leone wrote:
...Recently I purchased a set of 14 x 6 Daytona style Cromadoras that need
to be refinished before installing on my US spec 1972 GTV...

Paul,
Stop right there! Are these 1970s originals or recent production? Daytonas
(I had a set on my Alfetta) are true magnesium alloy wheels, not aluminum.
Instead of bending, they shatter into particles like rock salt. Old
magnesium wheels are brittle and often have stress cracks. Start by looking
at the center of the hub area, from the back of the wheel. See any white,
sugar-like deposits? That's your wheel dissolving, typically from exposure
to salty roads in winter. The center tends to go first. You'll have to epoxy
that area. If there's a pin hole near the center cap, don't trust hat wheel
with your life. It's weakened and ready to collapse, dissolving like sugar
after hitting a pothole at 70 MPH. Even if they the wheels look to be in
excellent condition, 20-year old used wheels develop stress fractures. I'd
suggest being be gentle with them, Keep the surface clean and waxed, and
don't even consider competition with an old set of wheels. Also, tires need
to be hand mounted onto magnesium rims

Dave Hammond
AROC-Detroit