Re: Alfetta GT rear springs

Biba,

The springs you have may be similar in spring rate, but I don't have the formula
handy to calucalte the rate. The three parameters to the calculation are the wire
thickness, the number of free coils, and the unloaded lenght. Since your shorter springs
have thicker wire and the same number of coils, the shortness works against the added
thickness. I'd bet on the thick wire having a greater effect since the stiffness
increases
with the fourth power of the diameter.

> Whilst dismantling the Alfetta's DeDion assemblies, it turns out I have
> the choice of the stock '75 coil springs (12.15 mm diameter - 7 coils)
> or the springs off the '79 (which came with 13.5 mm diameter - 7 coils).
> The latter is much tighter wound and consequently are a lot shorter.

I changed rear springs recently on my GTV6, and it was very easy just as you
have described below.  I had the car on double jackstands and dealt with the dedion
tube with bottle jacks. No drivetrain dissassembly was necessary.

> Embarrassing question - especially since I have parts of two complete
> DeDion assemblies scattered all over my shop, butcan one merely undo
> the shocks, undo the sway bar lower links and Watts linkage and lower
> the car enough to switch springs? This assumes everything else is on the
> 'rear-end'?
>
> Or does one need to undo driveshaft donut, etc., etc.?

Skip Pack
'84 GTV6, '86 Graduate
Pleasant Hill, CA