Computer flavors

Nick Brooker asked -

"Kind of off topic, but what sort of computers do you
folks use?" and then proceeded to liken Macs unto
Alfas. There's something in that: a mass-produced
machine that still feels tailored, with its own unique
(some idiots say idiosyncratic) solutions to the usual
design requirements, and a measure of performance well
beyond what the mere numbers would suggest...not to
mention a deeply loyal following, in spite of a market
share that the "experts" often deride.

Not odd to see an engineer use a Mac at home, even if
his metier weren't computers; the biggest and most
active Mac user group in the country used to be based
in the engineering department at Berkely. Might still
be. As for me, I use a Mac largely because I'm a
graphics guy...and yes, I know you can do graphics on
a PC. You can also run your daily errands in a giant
truck, if that blows your skirt up, and God knows lots
of people do. So there's another parallel between Macs
and Alfas...

Will Owen
'87 Milano
'72 Berlina